Friday, July 23, 2010

MUSIQ WHORE

As some of you know I'm obsessed with music. My favorite thing to do is listen to new sounds. If you are into music just as much as me, I would love to be your best friend so I can steal all of your tunes. I go through phases. Some of you Muusies (just made that up, it comes from the word Foodie) will probably think I'm not a legit music fan when I tell you that the song of choice right now is "I love the way you lie" by Eminem and Rihanna. The song starts out with Rihanna singing alone...very melodic, very smooth. Then the beats drop in and Eminem starts to rap. That part makes me feel motivated, which is a good thing that this song is popular because radio stations play it about 50 times on my commute to work.
That is not the only song that I am choosing to listen to right now though. I've been playing "How to Destroy Angels", a mix tape by Trent Reznor on repeat on my way back home every afternoon. This is not for someone who is suicidal and who wants to drive their car off the freeway. You have to be SEMI stable to listen to it. BUT, it is a good tape to put on when you are feeling kinda moody and dark.
What I like to do when I hear a full album that I enjoy is create scenerios in my head. This is why I love to drive in my car alone on long trips. I sit and stare at the road and put on an album and create dance routines, music videos, or a short film. Lately it's been music videos.
How does one create a mix tape? What are your motivations? When I made Nickolas a mix tape I didn't just think of what songs I would THINK he would enjoy, I picked the songs that I could see him in a music video or a short film. Do I sound crazy? Perhaps, but take for example the song You! Me! Dancing! by Los Campesinos. Every inch of that song is Nickolas and me together. The beginning has us sitting in a cafe, drinking wine and smoking a cigarette...the music starts to get louder and happier and we both stand up, knock the cafe table over and run towards the door with us holding hands. We run into the street then we run into a field of daisies. We finally make it to the beach and splash each other...still holding hands.
If you were to be given a mix tape wouldn't you rather be given that description than just saying "I thought you'd like this song"?
I can go on and on about music, but I'm going to st0p right now and leave some for later. Being a music whore can get tiring ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment